Just the life of any other Rachel

Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Frustrated

 I am frustrated.  Bertram's teacher had a (another) talk with me about his behaviour. 

I asked him how his day was, he said pretty good.  Then the teacher caught me before we left.  He talked back, didn't do his work, and spent the day breaking crayons.  She asked if anything was happening at home.  The only thing I can think of is he hasn't had ABA in a while (because she's been sick, and we were sick).  

So now he has no screens.  We decided that any work he doesn't do in class is coming home for homework.  And if work comes home, he'll have no screens.

I don't know what else to do.  I'm not sure Special Ed is where he should be.  And his school doesn't have special ed anyway.  He'd have to go from our neighbourhood, very highly ranked, school, across the city to a very low ranking school.  (Our school is 9 or 10/10, the other school is 2/10). It would probably take 30-40 minutes to get him there in the morning, because it's downtown.

The other issue, in terms of special ed, is that he's fairly advanced academically.  I sort of wonder if he's bored.  When he brings home work, it seems to be the right level of challenging (not easy, not too hard).

 I think I'm going to end up having to home school him.  I don't really want to do that.  I don't feel equipped for that.  I think the school district gives you all the materials for "independent study".  

Nothing has to happen, or be decided now.  But I wish I could motivate him to be better in class.  ASD is frustrating, and hard.

Anyway, I'm just venting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment