Just the life of any other Rachel

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

This and that

 I'm posting from my phone, I'll have to try to remember to add pictures later.

I signed Bron up for a "science camp". It's really a half day class with lots of hands on things to do. Yesterday she lasted 90 minutes. Today she lasted about an hour. I think I'll see if I can sit in the class with her tomorrow, and see if that might help. It's a good lesson for me though, keep her activities on the shorter side.

Last week they had swimming lessons. Bert did great all week, which I expected. Bron did a little less well than I thought she would. She had a full on meltdown one day during lessons, so that was fun. But she needs to be comfortable in the water before she can swim. Maybe I just need to spring for private lessons at some point. Someone who is used to working with ASD kids. 





My mom was here for 2 weeks, which was awesome, as always. And it went by too fast, as always.

Bron had a very low-key Birthday party. Her favourite cousin wasn't able to be there, so it was her cousin Isaac, and Bertram, and that was it for kids. But we had pizza, which she ate. And unicorn cake, which she did not eat. She was really enthusiastic about every gift she received. "Oh thank you!" "This is what I really wanted!" Etc. We got her thank you notes written and sent, so her birthday is officially done.







And we start birthday month. My MiL, my dad, Aaron, my sister, and the kid's cousin. Followed shortly by my other sister in early September.  Hopefully I didn't forget anyone.

The kids start school in about 10 days. We have a meeting with Bertram's pediatrician in a couple days to discuss medication for him, for school. The ADHD is strong with that one. He is hesitant about trying it, but he seems to be willing. At this point, it is nearly impossible to get him to take medicine. I'm hoping it's something I can crush and put in his smoothies.  We've been practicing swallowing pills with mini m&M's, but haven't had any success yet.

Bron is also going to be re-evaluated for ADHD about a month after school starts. She was close to the threshold last time she was tested, so we'll see where she is at this point.

She has been having major bedtime issues for the last month or so. Most nights she is up past 10. Some nights midnight. Melatonin doesn't seem to do anything for her. We've kept a routine, limited screen time, woken her up early, but nothing has made a difference.  Meanwhile, Bertram is a very good sleeper. Asleep by 8 most nights, up at 530 or 6 every morning.

I've been feeling poorly for the past 4 days. Mostly a sore throat. That's my only remaining symptom. I had body aches, headache, low fever and fatigue. It felt like the flu, without respiratory symptoms. I was covid negative.

Let's see, what else has happened? I can't remember if I mentioned this before. I took the kids to the Academy of Sciences in San Francisco. Bron really had been wanting to go. I should have done a virtual walkthrough with her, so she knew what to expect. They really enjoyed the aquarium, they were feeding the fish lettuce, which was neat. They weren't very impressed by the dinosaur exhibit (which was specifically what we came for). Then we tried to go in the living rainforest. Bron freaked out! She was screaming and crying and saying we were going to die in there for sure. I felt bad, but it's a one way exhibit, so we couldn't just leave. It was hot and humid in there, and I had to carry her up 3 stories of ramps to the top. I was sweating a lot. The whole time Bert kept asking to go home (turned out he had a fever). After the rainforest, Bron was done. It was a short, expensive day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment