Just the life of any other Rachel

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Sleep screw up

Once upon a time, Bertram was a good sleeper.  He could sleep on his own, with minimum intervention from Aaron or me.  Fast forward to last night: it took him 1.5 hours to go to sleep, because someone had to sit with him.  Then he woke up at 4.  Normally, Aaron or I would lay down with him til he (or inevitably both of us) would fall asleep.  But, I realized how far we'd slid back on sleeping.  So we started minimal-contact-say-good-night-back-to-bed thing.  The problem with this is (of course that it sucks, but) you have to pass through Bronwyn's room to get to ours.  So going back and forth every 5 minutes wakes her up.  Especially since he's usually crying.  At some point, I told Aaron I'd stay in the front of the house, so Bron and Aaron could sleep uninterrupted.

Aside from putting him back in bed ad infinitum, I devised a plan.  I made a calendar (sticker chart).  He has the opportunity to earn 3 stickers each night. 
1. Going to bed on his own, without issue
2. Sleeping all night (aka don't wake mom and dad/Bronwyn)
3. Stay in bed til the clock changes colour.  (We got him a clock when he got his big bed that is blue when it's sleeping til and yellow when it's get up time.  It worked well, for a while, until we got lazy).

Once he earns 21 stickers, he will get a remote controlled BattleBot.  I think this will be a good incentive because he's been talking about it for months.  (They're between $30-40 so I was putting him off til Christmas or Birthday, but if this works, I'll happily buy it now.)

Fingers crossed.

Also, hopefully I get a nap today.

No comments:

Post a Comment