Just the life of any other Rachel

Thursday, April 14, 2022

2am writings

 I think right after I wrote the last entry, Bertram came down with a cold.  None of the rest of us have gotten it.  It's a bad cold, he's really stuffy and has a productive cough.  He's had 3 negative covid tests (2 at home and 1 at Kaiser).  So, since he was sick, he couldn't go to school and missed the whole week before spring break.  (He wasn't actually feeling poorly, and had no fever.  In the before time, I probably would have just sent him to school.)  So I was bummed about that.  And his teacher didn't get a work packet to me until Thursday of that week.
(She seems like a nice lady, but she's super disorganized.  And I'm not sure if she actually "likes" Bertie, since he is a problem student.  I can't remember if I wrote this before, but they had a sub two Fridays in a row.  It was Bert's favourite sub, so he was stoked.  And both those days were thumbs-up good days.  I asked him, why do you think you work better with Mrs. R?  He said "because she's kinder."  Which broke my heart a little.  If it were the beginning of the year, I would have asked for a teacher swap, but we're almost done now).
I had him doing a math workbook, letter writing practice and either spelling, or research. He has been very into both the Titanic and ancient Egypt lately.  But mostly it's been lots of reading and screen time.  It's nearly two weeks later and he still has this cold.  (We called the advice nurse, but she said colds in kids can last up to two weeks.  So I guess after that, if he's still all gross we'll call back and see the doctor.  

Bronwyn is very into the new Disney movie Turning Red.  Before that we watched Encanto almost daily.  Now we watch Turning Red almost daily.  I'd seen some reviews where people were upset because it mentions periods, and rebellious teenagers.  Eyeroll.  There are a whole slew of rebellion teens in Disney movies (Cinderella, Rapunzel, The little Mermaid, Belle, etc).  Anyway, she's liking that.  She's been doing well with food practice and even ate a piece of cheese and a chicken nugget, unprompted.  So there is some progress.  

I joined 24 hr fitness last week.  (Though none of the close ones are 24 hours.)  I joined a gym maybe 10 years ago.  Then my Crohns got bad (before I started Humira) and I quit. But I decided I should be exercising, hopefully to lose some weight, and just to be healthier in general.  I've done three classes so far (zumba, yoga and body pump).  Zumba was not as fun as I remembered (eg: it's way more complicated).  But I really enjoyed the yoga and body pump classes.  I'm really sore from a body pump I did on Monday.  So I've just been using the treadmill since then.  I'm signed up for another one Friday, hopefully I'll be in fighting shape by then.  There are a couple of other classes I want to try, but haven't gotten the chance yet.  I figure, during the week, after I get Bron to school I'll head over.  Usually there is a class at 9 or 9:30.  There is also a lap pool, but I have no clue where my swimsuit is at the moment.  

Aaron and I have been having our weekly date night.  Usually we just go out to eat, since we need to get the kids to bed.  This week we got take away food from a Jamaican restaurant, and had It's-Its for dessert. It's been nice to have a set weekly time without the kids, to just enjoy being alone together.

Why I am up at 2am:  (Around 1am) I think I was in a twilight sleep, when I heard someone (something?) bang on the window a couple times.  Scary. Aaron was in the bathroom at the time.  And he said it wasn't the window, it was him dropping his phone on the floor.  None the less, I was scared and now awake.  Combine that with him instantly falling asleep and snoring.  So I came out to the living room, and here I am.  In my 2am glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment