Just the life of any other Rachel

Friday, July 8, 2022

Now it's July

 The gym is going well.  I'm mostly enjoying it. I do BodyPump 3-4 times a week.  It's like circuit training that turns into cardio.  Sometimes I do yoga.  The other thing I usually do is the treadmill.  I do an hour, either slow (2.8ish mph) with a 6.5% incline, or 3.8-4mph with a 1% incline.  I generally get to t he gym 5-6 days a week.  Now that the kids are home, it's been more difficult.  On days that Aaron goes into the office, I get up really early, so I can get it done before he goes to work.  On days he's home I can usually go whenever.

At the very beginning of the summer, both kids did swimming lessons.  Bronwyn started Summer school a couple weeks ago, and had this past week off.  I've been doing school type stuff with Bertram as well.  He has a workbook, we do spelling, flashcards, paragraph formation etc. He doesn't mind it too much.  He did a science camp last week in the afternoon. 
(The first day, I drove over to the community center.  And we looked on the schedule of classes but didn't see the science class.  So we went to the lobby and asked where it was.  It took a little bit of looking, but they found the science camp, which was at the other community center, right near our house.  Bertram was freaking out because he's an anxious kid, and like me, hates to be late.  He was going on the whole way there.  Then started in with "Does this make you feel stupid mom?  I'm not calling you stupid, but do you feel stupid?"  We made our way back across town, and went to pull into the parking lot.  But the parking lot was closed off, for painting.  We drove around to the front, which has a horseshoe driveway with no parking.  But we parked there anyway, because we were already 10 minutes late at that point.  Oh, and Bron was with me too.  And she and Bert spent the time that he wasn't worrying, fighting over a toy.)
He enjoyed science camp.  This week he had Minecraft camp in the mornings.  He enjoyed that a lot too, and had a lot to tell me everyday when class was done.

 Since Bron was off school this week, we enrolled her in another week of swimming lessons.  She is doing way better than last year.  She would barely get in the water.  Now she'll get in, and blow bubbles and practice kicking.  Bertram moved up a level in his class.  But he is overly confident in the water.  He doesn't swim nearly as well and he thinks.  Bronwyn is still overly cautious, but gaining ground.  The both have one more week of lessons the last week before school starts again.  

We were expecting Bronwyn to go to the same school as Bertram, and had enrolled her there.  But after an IEP meeting about her transitioning, it was decided that she would have better access to services at a different school.  (There are not enough RSP teachers at Bertram's school to allow for the hours she needs.  And they'd have to pull her from class to work on things (called "pull out").  At the other school, the RSP teacher will be able to help her while she's in class ("push in").  The other school is rated highly, and is our other neighbourhood school.  (The two schools are just about equidistant from the house).  That's all good.  The intention is that once she is used to a classroom with a lot of kids, she'll transition back to Bertram's school.  They think this process with take one school year or less.  The other school has uniforms, which isn't a huge deal, I started stocking up.  The real sticking point is that the two school start and end within 5 minutes of each other.  Right now, Aaron is working from home three days a week.  Those days, he can help out getting one kid to and from school   The other days my in-laws will help out, or someone will likely be late.  Not sure how to swing the afternoons on the days my in laws can't help.  But I guess I'll figure that out when the time comes.

In a week and a half we fly to  Virginia to spend time with Nana and Papa (and aunts, second cousins, etc)  I'm very nervous about flying with the kids.  Last time we flew, Bron was a year old.  She didn't have any of the ASD stuff that she has now.  And noises is one of her big things.  Planes are loud.  The bathroom especially is loud, and she's only been potty trained since January.  The other thing I'm worried about is flight cancelations.  There are been tons of cancelations this summer, And while getting stuck on one end or the other wouldn't be the worst thing, getting stuck at a layover would be pretty bad.  And I'm thinking about all the extra stuff I have to bring in the carry on.  A change of clothes for everyone, things to entertain them, a ton of snacks. I realized last time I flew, I only need my phone and a sudoku book.  But, on the plus side, I got the TSA pre-check so we won't have as long a line at security.

1 comment: