Just the life of any other Rachel

Sunday, December 4, 2022

6am Catch up

 We had an ok Thanksgiving.  We  went to Aaron's cousin's house, which is fine.  But Aaron's parents' house is more conducive to entertaining.  I wasn't feeling super social to begin with.  Then I got to hear the two old men complain about how drag queens are somehow corrupting the children.  Not sure how, but they are.  So I most hung out alone, and played on my phone.  I brought Monty, so I walked him once or twice.  Sophie's dog really liked Monty.  Like he kept trying to hump Monty.  Monty was not happy about this.  Dinner was good.  I was bummed that there was no sweet potato casserole.  I like to make it, but someone else was bringing sweet potatoes and I didn't want to step on any toes.     

We did a little Black Friday shopping.  Mostly at Joann's.  We've been doing a lot of quilting lately.  More on that later.  We also went to Target, but only for usual things.  I bought a couple things online, mostly pants for Bertram.  He seems to have gotten tall all of a sudden, and his 7s are too short.  Almost all my Christmas shopping has been via Amazon.  And I'm nearly done, I just need Rebecca, and my step dad.  I'm going to make cookies for my FiL.  Saturday we went to Maker's Fair for Small Business Saturday.  We bought a few things.  I want to go again next year, sans kids.


At Maker's Fair, with her purse and dino.


We also got the Christmas tree up, and the decorations out.  Usually we do this Black Friday, but Aaron was feeling particularly sick that day, so we did it Saturday, which didn't feel right to me.  And because it didn't feel right, we didn't put out the outside lights.  I just don't feel like it.  (Or feel like having Aaron spend an hour+ doing it, though I usually do it).  I have the kids stockings done, little gifts for Hanukkah, bought a menorah, and candles.

Waffles got spayed this week.  She is still in her cone, because her surgery suit isn't here yet.  Hopefully today.  She's starting to be more like herself again.  But, hates the cone, of course.


Aaron has been sick for about 2 weeks.  I think it started as a virus, and became and infection, if that's possible.  He got amoxicillin this week, which is helping.  But he's still not 100%.  He was off work for 3 days.  Actually more, because he took a day or two before Thanksgiving.  He's starting to improve.  But is coughing a lot.  It's driving me crazy.  

A while back, in August, I started working on my sister's king-sized t-shirt quilt.  I started it, then took a 3 month break for no reason.  I made a lot of progress this week.  I got the top finished, got it pin-basted, and stitched in the ditch for the vertical lines. Before I basted it, I noticed the backing fabric was too short, so I had to get another sheet (twin-sized this time), to add about 5 inches to the quilt back.  I started quilting in each square, making a sort of baffle-box, though not really.  

Completed t-shirt quilt top

I also finished the scrappy quilt. It was one I made on the fly.  No plan, or pinning or ironing.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  For some reason, I don't have a completed picture. 


Nearly complete scrap quilt

A while back, I bought a batch of pre-cut strips from Joann's clearance bin.  I had this for a long time.  I came across them, and decided to make a subway tile quilt with them.  I had to buy supplemental fabric, and it ended up being lap sized.  I did different quilting.  I've never done triangles.  They turned out pretty good, though, I can tell my basting isn't as good as it should be. I decided to attempt the binding on my own.  Usually Aaron does it.  I bought machine quilting thread.  Which is apparently not made for my machine.  The bobbin kept getting jammed.  It was really irritating to have to fix the bobbing every 3 minutes.  So, it took a really long time.  And I thought I remembered how to do the corners, but I didn't.  So, the binding looks terrible.  And I don't like the colour with the quilt.  I think I'm going to take it off, and have Aaron redo it, in a different colour.
The subway tile quilt, done, but not redone.

The other thing Aaron and I have been working on together is Christmas quilts.  We made one for Aaron's mom, and we're in the process of making one fore his bio-mom.  I cut all the squares.  Aaron did all the sewing.  It turned out a little busy, but very Christmasy.  


The fabrics, all laid out


Monty in front of the basted quilt.


Aaron and Bron playing a video game.



animals on me and the scrap quilt.


Making the gingerbread house


My new ornament


Monty, in his purse


Always sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment