Just the life of any other Rachel

Monday, October 30, 2023

 I survived my time as a single mom.  Every time I have to do solo parenting, I am always in awe of the people that do that full time.  They are some strong women and men.  While Aaron was gone, I took Bronwyn (and Bertram) to a Scout Pack meeting.  I don't know if it's just our troop, but pack meetings are run poorly, and are generally very dull.  Normally, I would have just skipped it, since Aaron does all the scouting stuff.  But Bronwyn was getting an award, so I wanted her to be there for that.  But then she always gets upset that she didn't win all the awards.  We stayed from 6:30-7:30 and then they'd (and I'd) had enough fun.  

We went to the Fall Outrageous Outgrowns.  (We being Aaron and me).  We often bring the kids with us, so they can choose books, and maybe a toy.  And usually the event is in one big room.  But this time it was in a lot of little rooms.  Some places were hard to navigate with just us two, let alone if we'd brought the kids too.  We got some jackets, and books, and a couple pairs of shoes.  It was a decent haul, considering the set up was not great.  Hopefully in Spring, it'll be in a different building.

I went to Aaron's cousin's baby shower.  She has PCOS and some other issues, so she wasn't sure she'd ever have a baby.  And she got a surprise.  So I'm very happy for her.  Her shower was lovely.  Parties are just difficult for me, I'm fine mostly listening, and chiming in occasionally, but I am not good at small talk.  So, events like that are always exhausting more me.  I don't know when this social anxiety because what it is today, but it's really annoying.  I wish I was more normal.

Bronwyn had a mini IEP meeting last week.  Just so it would be documented that she gets to keep her 1 on 1 aide for the duration of the school year.  Aaron went to that one.  It was right after school drop off, and lasted less than 10 minutes.  So I didn't miss too much. 

Aaron and I realized that we both know her PE teacher.  I went to high school with him, he was a grade or two above me.  He is one of Aaron's friends; friend.  He said Bronwyn is a sweet kid.  Which is good to hear, since at school (at least in her previous class) she's usually a terror.

Friday we went to the Trunk or Treat at Presentation.  It's relatively small, so the kids (specifically Bron) don't get too overwhelmed.  They had fun, and got a good amount of candy to boot.  There are a lot of good costumes now a days.

Bert was Foxy from Five Nights at Freddy's


Bron was a princess.


Saturday was a busy day.  It started out with Bertram's first chess class.  He was all excited til it was actually time to go, then I practically had to drag him there.   While he was in class, I walked around the field track at the community center.  He had a good time (of course) but has trouble understanding the teacher, who has a Russian accent.  After that, it was time for a Bertram and mom date.  I think Bert has been feeling a little left out, because Bronwyn has been needing more attention lately.  So I suggested that I take Bert out this Saturday, and Aaron could do next.  I asked Bert what he wanted to do, and he said mini-golf and IHOP.  Mini golf was fun, it was a nice day, and the course wasn't too crowded.  Plus the big group that was there, let us go ahead of them.  Afterwards, we went across the street to IHOP and there was not a single parking space available in the whole lot.  I asked what his second choice was.  He chose Denny's.  Denny's was also busy, but we were able to park and get a table.  The service was slow, as I'm pretty sure they were understaffed.  But he and I had a nice lunch.  



Aaron and Bron were supposed to do something fun too.  But she opted for Macca's and television instead.  Bron and I napped that afternoon.  She'd been up for a long time (I'm not sure what time, but it was early).  We both had to be woken for the church Trunk or Treat.   She was ,understandably, grumpy.  She never quite recovered.  When we went in, she wore her headphones, which helped some.  But she wouldn't eat anything (not too surprising).  And before the actual Trunk or Treating had started, she had Aaron take her and I home.  (For the record, I was dressed at Totoro, and Aaron was a banana).  

Sunday was one of the few times a year I attend church with the family: the primary program.  Bertram was balking before we even left the house.  He has long declared himself an atheist.  Which is fine with me, I'm 90% there myself.  Aaron still makes him go to church.  Anyway, he said he couldn't participate because it would be lying.  I can understand, and am even proud of his scruples, but the day of was not the time to decide that.  I told him the time to dissent was when they were practicing.  I also told him that some times it's ok to tell a little lie, if it makes someone else happy.  But he was not budging. So he sat by me the whole time.  Aaron got Bronwyn to go up to the front, and he stayed with her.  At one point she started crying, and they left.  He came back with her in her headphones.  (We keep a pair in the car, at home, and at school).  Then she participated.  She read both of her parts, and at the end also sang with the kids.

There isn't too much else on the horizon right now.  I'm looking forward to Daylight Saving Time ending next week.  The sun doesn't come up til after 7:30 these days.  In the next 2 weeks, Bron starts gymnastics, and soccer.  I'm anxious about how that will go.  She is quite the wildcard.  Bertram will be doing a ceramics class in December.  And I'm excited because in the new year, there are actually classes for people my age!  There used to be adult classes, but recently, it has been only kids and old people.  There are a couple or art classes and some fitness classes.  So I'll be signing up for something  once the registration period opens.

No comments:

Post a Comment