Just the life of any other Rachel

Monday, November 13, 2023

Dreaming the dream

 I've been watching a lot of House Hunters lately. So I've been thinking about what my dream home would look like. 

Our current home is a small one story 2.5 bedroom/2 bath house. My two least favourite things are that you have to walk through Bronwyn's room to get to the master, and that there is no laundry room, it's in the garage.  I really like our kitchen. I like the we have a (small) walk in closet.

My dream home would be as follows.

A 2 story 2500-3000 sq ft with lots of windows. The garage, if it had one, would be set behind the house. Downstairs would have a living and family room. I love the idea of two living spaces, since we just have one, and it's fairly small. I don't care for a fireplace. I'd like a bay window with a seat in it. The kitchen would be large, and eat in. Stone, or concrete counter tops, and cabinets that are white, or some colour, but not bare wood.  I want hardwood, or hardwood-looking floors throughout, no carpet.  I would have a spacious laundry room, with a space to flat dry sweaters, fold clothes and a rack, for hanging things. Plus, room to iron. Down stairs could have a half bath. I'd also like an office/library on the first floor.  Upstairs would have 4-5 bedrooms. And 3 full baths. I would want jack and Jill bathrooms between the secondary bedrooms, so every room is sort of an en suite.  The secondary bedrooms would have big closets with sliding or accordion doors (I hate closet doors that swing out). The master doesn't have to be huge, but needs to accommodate a King bed. My dream bathroom is a little particular. I saw once, in an older house, his and hers vanities and toilets. And they met in the middle with a shower.  I like that, each with its own little water closet. And both toilets would have a Toto Washlet attached. I'd like a big soaking tub, and a shower with at least two heads.

Things I don't really care about: the style of the house. I like modern and mid century modern, but all the styles have their pluses. I don't care about the yard much, big, small, whatever. Just at least a little space for the dog to go out. Though, ideally, there would be room for an ADU, for my sister to live in. I don't care if there is a garage, as long as there is space for storage in the house. 

So, yeah. Someday, when it's raining money, I'm going to get right on designing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment