Just the life of any other Rachel

Friday, July 3, 2015

A good couple of days

The past two days have been really good.

Yesterday I decided Bertie and I were going to have an adventure.  I needed to go to Ikea to get clothes pins (they have the best and cheapest ones).  I looked up parks in Palo Alto, and parks with water features in Sunnyvale.  It was still fairly early when we left (before 10), so I thought maybe we could hit the water feature on the way back.  But I read about this cool park in Palo Alto called the Magical Bridge. We drove over there.  And I was disappointed.  


As you can see, it was fine.  But certainly not magically.  And while helping him on the slide, I socked him in the eye with my ring.  After we played there for a bit, we walked around.  It was a big park, and they were setting up for 4th of July festivities.  At the far end of the park, we found it: the Magical Bridge.
Slides, swings, spinning things, a little kid area, it was great!  Bertie took a tumble and bumped his head (on one of the few un-padded surfaces).  But he recovered quickly.  He loved the slides!  Two of the three are in the picture above.  The other one was made of a bunch of rollers.  He thought they were all fun.  And he went down the blue one by himself!  (That was the fastest slide).  We had so much fun.  He probably could have played longer, but I was sweaty.

You can see where I hit his right eye, and if you look close you can see the bump on his left forehead.

We continued on to Ikea.  We got lunch: Swedish meatballs.  And then Bertie fell asleep.  I got my clothes pins (and nothing else (a first!)). I was able to transfer him to the car and have him stay asleep.  I was going to take him to the water feature park on the way home, but opted not to wake him. We drove back, and went to the grocery store.  At the grocery store, he pulled a jar off the shelf when I wasn't looking, and broke it.

I made burgers, with corn and watermelon for dinner.  We had a nice night.

Today Aaron had the day off, so we decided to go to the boy scout camp for the day.  I could not wake up, so we left around 7:30, instead of 7.  We didn't hit any traffic (amazingly).  Bertie did pretty well.  I sat in the back with him off and on.  He napped on the way up.  We got to camp without incident.  Met up with a lot of people from the year Aaron worked up there.  We also had lunch there.


Now we always have to take a picture with the sign.

We stayed about two hours, and then drove up the road a little further to Pinecrest Lake.  It was really crowded.  But we lucked upon a good parking spot.  Bertie and I changed (Aaron didn't think to bring a suit).  It was hot there, and the water was chilly, but we got in and waded around for a while.  
 
We got dressed, Bertie had a little nurse, and then headed back.  We got some McDonald's (ice cream and soda).  We got behind a car whose roof carrier was open.  They were losing clothes, towels and pillows.  So we got close enough to honk, and flash the lights and wave.  Eventually they got it.  But I was bummed they lost a bunch of their stuff.  Bertie slept for a while. We stopped at a fruit stand, not knowing it was one of the lamer ones (oh well). Later, we stopped in Tracey for gas (and got 31.4 mpg!)  We only hit a little traffic on the way home.  And we saw license plates from 16 different states!

We had a quick dinner, and took the dogs for a walk.  I wish we could have bathed Bertram, but he was too tired.  It's getting late, and I'm tired.  Fortunately, there haven't been many fireworks tonight.  (We medicated Yoie, so she is calm and sleeping).

No comments:

Post a Comment