Just the life of any other Rachel

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Stream of conciousness

Bertie was sick with a high fever for a week.  We went to the doctor a total of three times in that week.  Had 3 weigh-ins, 3 rectal temperatures, 2 blood draws, 1 nasal culture, 1 chest x-ray and countless doses of Tylenol, Advil, nurse and snuggles.  We were really just getting in the swing of weaning, then sickness.  Bertie lost .75 lbs in the week he was sick.  It was hard on me, and Aaron (and everyone else), and stressful to have a sick kid.  I mean, 105+ fevers for a week?  Yikes.  But, here we are, a week later, and he's almost himself again.  Still not quite eating as much as usual, and still more tired, but the fever is gone.

Bertram took his first step yesterday.  He was helping me close the dishwasher, just one step.  

Aaron might have to strike on Tuesday.  The county is not playing fair.  The managers' union got an 8% raise, the county actually has money, and Kaiser lowered their premiums.  The union wants a 5% raise (it has had to forgo cost of living raises for the past 5 years) and no changes to health care.  The offer the county had was a 1.5% raise, and 2% of your salary pays for health care, which equals a .5% decrease in pay.  And the county wanted to be able to change health care systems and rates with a 30 day notice.  (Uh, no.) If they don't have a better offer by Tuesday, the 9000 member union will strike.  

I was asked to start working three days a week again.  I like working less, but more money is always nice.

I had been doing well with eating right, and exercising, until the sickness.  Hopefully next week I'll get back on the horse.  

We were able to get out to dinner for our 10th anniversary on Tuesday. Just a nice dinner downtown.  I'd like to do an overnight at some point. Maybe when my mom comes to visit.

I only cooked twice this week, but I made two good dinners, both vegan.  I did a tofu and veggie stir-fry (with no-calorie yam flour noodles) and summer rolls (with rice noodles, cucumber, bell pepper, carrot and cilantro). with peanut sauce.  We're trying to eat a more plant based diet.  I bought some Kale, though I'm pretty sure neither of us like kale.  I'm not sure how I'll cook it, maybe sauteed with olive oil and garlic.  

The supreme court legalized gay marriage for the whole country this week.  This means that Pride weekend (this weekend) will be awesome, and church tomorrow, will likely be awful.  Since I'm so on the fence with church lately, I decided to stay home.  I love Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment