Just the life of any other Rachel

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Birthdays, Beach, Trampolines, etc

I turned 32. I feel old.

We went to the flea market.  We found an extra-wide baby gate for $10.  Score!  After that we got burgers at The Habit.  There was a Radio Shack closing sale, and we found a few good deals there.  We came home so Bertie could nap.  We ran a couple errands, and then went to Red Lobster for dinner.  Bertie ate crab, shrimp and a whole lemon slice.  (He's weird).  Aaron and Bertie got me gift certificates for massages.  And we had ice cream cake after dinner.

Monday was (hopefully) the hottest day of the week.  So I'd planned to take Bertie to Santa Cruz.  That morning I caught him eating out of the trash can (moldy blackberries, and an apricot pit in the other hand).  Before hitting the road we ran into Bed, Bath and Beyond to look for a new trash can (one that he can't get into).  But, the ones that might work were at least $160.  No thanks.
We headed over the hill, Bertie napped the whole way.  I put him in his rash guard, and we walked down to the beach.  We stopped at a small inlet, and he splashed around.  That water was warm, shallow, and slow moving, so he was happy.  After that we walked along the water.  I had him in a sling, he liked looking at the ocean, and seeing all the kids and dogs.  I stood him in front of me, so the waves could wash on us.  I held his left hand, in his right he was clutching my sunglasses like a security blanket.  He liked the waves, as long as I held him tight.
I realized I should have brought a change of clothes for me.  I didn't think about it, but I was all wet and sandy.  Bertie didn't like getting changed, he wanted to nurse a lot (so we did).  Then we went to Marianne's to get ice cream.  I got the bigger scoop, because usually Bertie can't get enough.  But I couldn't even get him to take a bite!

On Tuesday we went to Rockin' Tots at the trampoline gym.  I had a lot of fun, I love trampolines.  Bertie wasn't too sure.  He liked the blocks from the foam pit, but not actually being in the foam pit.  Mostly, he just wanted to got down the stairs (which I didn't pay $15 for us to do).  He did crawl off the edge into the foam pit a couple times. I think once he can walk he'll have more fun.

Today is grandma's 91st birthday.  We got together with the family and had dinner.  Bertie had pineapple for the first time, he ate pickled beets, some shrimp, and bread.  He also (possibly) took a step, just one, from the table to Janet.  I missed it, of course.
Earlier today something unusual happened: it rained!  It's been a lot time since it rained, and it came down pretty good for a while.  Before the rain, I put Bertram on my back and mowed the lawns.  I tried to shower with him after, but he didn't like that, so we bathed instead.  After the bath, he wanted to nurse.  We did skin to skin, and nursed.  Then he peed on me, and the bed.  I'd just changed the sheets yesterday, fortunately we have a waterproof mattress cover. I started the laundry, then we ran a couple errands.

No comments:

Post a Comment