Just the life of any other Rachel

Monday, January 11, 2016

Significant Concerns

I was thinking about different worries I've had through my life.  I think I've always been an anxious person.  Some of my anxieties were normal, some were less normal.

  • Monsters (after a nightmare at age 3)
  • Tornadoes (some time around age 4)
  • A throat culture (only one, my dad had to take me back later in the day)
    (The next few all came about around age 6)
  • Having to check on my baby sister, to make sure she was still breathing
  • Unplugging everything I could reach, for fear of fire (then having to check again to make sure I'd actually unplugged them)
  • Locking doors (then (again) double, triple checking to make sure I'd done it)
  • Wetting the bed (I wet the bed once around age 6, and then worried for a long time that it would happen again.  So I'd make sure my bladder was really empty a few times before bed).
  •  Turning the lights off and on (Somehow I got the idea that some combination of the lights (specifically the hall light) being turned off and on would signal aliens, and they would come and abduct me)
  • Being picked up late (anytime my parents were late picking me up from something, I'd start to panic, and assume that something terrible had happened)
    Moving on to tween/teen years and beyond
  • Drugs (I remember being worried about middle and high school, and people offering drugs all the time) (I was actually so anxious about drugs, I never tried anything.  I kind of wish I'd tried pot, or gotten drunk in my younger days).
  • People being late (Once again, assuming something terrible had happened.)
  • Losing my wallet or phone (even now I check/double check to make sure they're where they should be)
  • People following me (sometimes I'd think I was being followed while driving).
  • Leaving the straightener on.
I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.  I'm better now.  I don't have the OCD issues like I did before.  I'm still anxious, but probably only a little more than the average person.

No comments:

Post a Comment