Just the life of any other Rachel

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Everything came and went, my mom, Bertram's birthday, the 2nd trimester of school.

My mom was here for three weeks that went way too fast. 

Bertram had a Star Wars themed party.  It was pretty calm.  We surprised him with the Disneyland trip.  He was/is excited.  I haven't mentioned that Disneyland is currently closed, because hopefully it'll be open and ready in a month from now.

Bertram's report card came home on Thursday.  For all academics he is either on track, or above.  But he needs work on things like: cooperation, sitting still, waiting, following directions etc.  He has his first ABA this coming Friday. Hopefully that will help things some.  But his teacher said his behaviour really is improving (overall). 

Because, like most of the country, we are on Covid-19 self isolation.  Bertram is out of school for the next three weeks. It has really left a lot of parents scrambling, as it was announced Friday (after school) and started pretty much immediately.  I really feel for the parents that are working, single, health workers, grocery retail, etc.  But the district is providing free bagged breakfast and lunches during the week, so that's good for many.  It doesn't particularly effect me, as I'm home all day anyway.  But I've been trying to get some school stuff in order for Bertie.  I want to try to keep a routine, because he does a lot better with routine.  This is what I'm going to try:
7am: Wake up normal time, eat (or not (he's not always hungry)), and go for our morning walk.
8:30ish: reading/language arts/writing practice
9ish: Math (I only have a little of that)
9:20ish: Science.  I got my dad's old microscope.  I ordered more slides, since there are only 4.  He really wants to see a Water Bear/Tarigrade.  So we'll have to get some pond water and see what we can find.  But we'll do things like: cheek cells, various plants, salt, sugar, and maybe blood if I can prick myself.
10ish: I'm trying to think of an ongoing art project we can do, but I haven't thus far.
Free time
12: Lunch
12:30-1:30 (or longer): quiet time Rest/nap/read/possibly additional tablet time.
Afternoon: play outside
4ish-5:30: Baths, tv

So we'll see how that goes.  I don't consider myself a very effective teacher. 

Examples:



Currently the library is slated to be open for a few hours in the afternoon tomorrow.  Hopefully, I can get over there and exchange their books.

Bronwyn is doing a weird sleep schedule.  She will either nap really late, or not at all.  If she naps late, she, of course, won't sleep.  If she doesn't nap, she's grumpy in the afternoon, but sleeps well. Aside from that she's parroting like crazy, and always has a lot to say.  She still loves reading, she is not as into art as Bertram was at her age.She likes to help unload the dishwasher by handing me one item at a time.

I'm still working on my depression.  My doctor switched my meds a little.  I'm not sure it's helping, but time will tell.  He really wants me to start exercising again (aside from walking).  I haven't as of yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment