Just the life of any other Rachel

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Blog all the things!

The past two days

My mom left early yesterday.  I was am emotional, weepy mess most of the rest of the day.  (I envy people who live close to their moms).  I did manage to get a few things done, as Bertie slept pretty well during the day.  I cleaned up, and did some laundry.  The previous day, I found a floppy sun hat for Bertie at H&M in size 2-4 months.  I'd been looking for a hat for him, but everything I'd found previously was either huge, or expensive.  This hat was $6.  I washed it yesterday, and when I pulled it out of the machine, it had completely fallen apart.  I read the instructions, and I'd washed it correctly.  So that bummed me out further.
I left the house with Bertie, and we first went to Kaiser to pick up my meds.  We then went to the mall to exchange the hat.  (I bought the hat at a further away H&M, and chose to go to the one near home).  That store was really messy, and disorganized.  I searched and searched, and finally found the hat.  They only had two: 0-1 months and 1-2 months.  So I ended up choosing a different hat in 4-6 months.  Then I went to the register.  The sales girl was pretty rude, and implied that you generally can't return things after they've been washed, and in the same breath stating you should always wash baby clothes before using them.  She asked why the hat was damp (because it just came out of the washer), and asked if I'd washed the receipt too, since it was damp from being next to the hat.  She did the exchange, but the whole situation was really frustrating.  On the way out of the mall, I really needed to pee, so we went through Target.  There was only one large stall, and for some reason, a mom had sent her small child into that one (alone).  And the door didn't stay closed on it own.  So we left.

In the parking lot, Bertie started wailing.  So I fed him in the front seat, and just sat there sobbing.

From there we went to Sprouts to get a couple things.  That was uneventful, except that I'm the worst line chooser.

After we had dinner, Bertie started crying and didn't stop for two hours.  We tried everything.  I even drove him around.  At one point he was crying so hard, I pulled over and climbed in the back with him.  I took him out of his seat, and held him, and cried with him.  When I thought I'd calmed him, I put him back in the seat, and he started up again.  (Also, he cries tears now, so it's extra sad).

We got home, and I handed the screaming car seat to Aaron and told him "I give up".  And as soon as Aaron took him out, he stopped.  It was like a miracle.

He slept in his crib for 3 hours, and the rest of the night in bed with me, waking every 3 hours (which is more often than usual).

Today Bertie and I got up early (for us) around 7:30, but went back to sleep for a few hours.  Once we were awake, he didn't want to be put down.  I think I got him to sleep for an hour at one point.  Eventually I put him in the Mai-tai.  He slept for 3 hours, and I got some house work done.

I fed him at 3ish, and then took him to Aaron's folks' house.  They watched him so I could run to the bank, and post office.  Normally I'd just bring him along, but with him wanting to be held all the time, it's a lot of in and out of the car seat.  But they were happy to watch him, and I was happy to have a break.  He was still happy (sleeping) when I got back, so I left him, and did the dishes and put some laundry away.

Aaron came home, we ate, and Bertie went back in the Mai-tai.  We got ready to go on a walk with the dogs.  They get really excited when it's walk time.  And as I was bending over to get my sweater, Fiona jumped up and scratched Bertram across his forehead and the top of his head.  (She wasn't trying to hurt him, or even be near him, she's just a dumb excitable dog).  He woke up and cried.  I cried.  He was ok (I even called and woke up my mom to back sure I didn't give him brain damage).  We went on our walk.

 When we got back he started getting fussy, so I gave him a bath.  Often, the bath will back him really mad, but today I propped his head up on a towel and he was pretty happy.  And he didn't have a screaming period.  And he went down to sleep really easily (in the bassinet, but that's ok).

Body

I'm not crazy about my body right now.  I'm just slightly under 190 lbs (I think, I haven't weighed in a couple weeks).  Pre-pregnancy weight was about 164, which is high for me.  My goal is to be back at 140 (or under).  50 pound seems really daunting, especially when time to exercise doesn't often occur, and I'm so tired.  But I need to start.  I'm going to get the tires pumped up on the jogging stroller, and start the couch potato to 5k workout, and possibly throw in some weights too.

Bertie

He is 7 weeks today.  As of Tuesday he weighed 9.7lbs.  He's smiled a couple times.  His neck is getting really strong.  He likes to throw his head around when we hold him.  He's still a good sleeper when he sleeps.  He's spending a little more time awake.  And lately he's been spitting up, which is a new development.  We had his baby blessing at church on Sunday

2 comments:

  1. I'd suggest getting some gripe water for those screaming periods. It was a miracle worker for Lena. I know how frustrating it is to just listen to your baby cry and feel so helpless!

    Also, give yourself time to lose the baby weight. Breastfeeding really helped me lose my weight, but it took a while. It didn't come off immediately, but by the end of my year nursing I was almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are beautiful, and such a good mom. I'm really thankful that you blog so honestly, It's a good reality check for me. Motherhood can be so glamorized, especially here in Utah land. But really, sometimes motherhood is about crying in a parking lot and screaming babies... But you get through it, because you love your children.

    Anyway, i think you are so strong and amazing. Go Rachel!

    ReplyDelete