Just the life of any other Rachel

Friday, April 25, 2014

Mastitis

I have Mastitis.  It came on today, pretty suddenly.  I couldn't get myself going today.  Bertie and I slept late.  I didn't leave the house.  Most days we go for a walk, or to a shopping center, to walk around.  It didn't happen.

In the evening, I started feeling feverish.  My breasts started hurting.  Once Aaron came home I took a long, hot shower, and kept towels on them.  Then I fell asleep on the couch for 2 hours.  Aaron wore Bertie in the Mei Tai.  Then I tried to go to bed, which was around 9 or 930.  I felt very poorly, so I decided to call the Kaiser advice line, so I could get an appointment first thing in the morning.  I talked to a nurse, but she said she needed to transfer me to the OBGyn line, and there was a wait.  I waited a long time, but finally got on with a nurse.  It was well worth the wait, since she was able to call in a medication for me.  I didn't even need an appointment.  After I got off the phone, I laid in bed and sobbed and sobbed.  I just felt so awful.  My fever got up to 102.9.  I can't remember the last time I had a fever that high.
(I wrote the rest of this the next day)

Aaron went and got my pills and put the baby in the bed with me.  Baby slept.  I laid in bed freezing and crying.  I guess I'm bad at being sick.

He brought back my medicine, and some prescription strength Motrin.  The antibiotics are a little weird, because you need to take them without food.  You can eat 1 hour before or 2-3 hours after. So I have to schedule my meals a little bit.  (We moved Bertie into his bassinet).

A little after midnight my fever broke.  I stayed in bed for a while, sweating and sweating.  Eventually I got up.  I was still tired, but I couldn't sleep.  At some point Aaron brought the babe out to eat.  I think I went to bed around 4, and I just put him in bed with me.  Neither of us had the energy to fight with him.

I still have a fever today, but I've only been feeling the hot side, not the cold side, since I'm staying medicated.  Aaron took the day off work to help me out.  I slept a lot.  I nursed and pumped a lot.  (The right side has the blocked duct, and feels a lot fuller than it is.  One time Bertram didn't eat off it, so I pumped.  I barely got an ounce!)

Everyone keeps saying "Keep pumping!  Keep nursing!"  I don't plan on stopping.  Come hell or high water that baby will be breastfed til at least 6 months, and hopefully a year.

When I showered this evening, I saw the wedge shape on my breast, indicative of mastitis.  So I'm doing heat treatments, and pumping after each feeding.  There have been improvements, and hopefully they will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment