Just the life of any other Rachel

Thursday, June 7, 2012

The birthday that wasn't.

I think I'm going to have to do a birthday do-over.

First off, I was/am in the middle of a flare up.  So my guts hurt, I didn't want to eat (because when you eat, they hurt more).


Maybe I should start off with the happier stuff.  I got a lot of nice gifts.  Aaron gave me a Kindle Fire.  My mom got me a Citizen Eco watch.  So that was all nice.  And I took the day off work, and set up a hair appointment.

Before:


After:


Lighter, a little shorter and bangs.  Yay.

After that Aaron and I had planned to go out to lunch.  But I felt too crappy.  So I got a Jamba Juice, and he got real food.

Then we were off to Kaiser.  I started on Humira.  So I needed to pick it up and then go to the injection clinic to learn how to use it.  I was concerned about the price, because Humira is very expensive.  But... my 8 40-mg syringes came to $35.  I looked at the receipt to see how much I saved with my insurance.  The list price was $3500!  Holy crap.  I am so glad I have insurance (and good insurance at that).

Then we walked upstairs to the injection clinic.  The nurse was telling me about what to do, how to prep, etc.  I made Aaron come, so he'd know how to do it, in case I wanted him to.  

This is how it goes:
2 shots yesterday
2 shots today
2 shots in two weeks
1 shot every two weeks following

I have to do the shots subcutaneously, so in the tummy or upper thigh.  I chose tummy.  It hurt.  And then after the second one, I had a vasovagal response.  I could hear the rushing in my ears, I starting sweating, and I thought I was going to barf.  The nurse ran off to find a blood pressure cuff.  I told Aaron to find me a trash can.  "What?"  I said "I think I'm going to throw up.  Trash can!  Trash can!  TRASH CAN!"  I did dry heave twice, but no barf.  Then I had to lay down for a while.  And drink grape juice.

Aaron had to go back to work for a meeting, and didn't come home til after 9.30.  :-/  I rested at home for a bit.  Then went to the mall for a while.  Depression started creeping in.  I went home and had a bit of a break down.

So all in all not great.  I think July 6th or 7th I'll have a birthday do-over.  The cake and going out to dinner and some fun activity, and actually seeing my husband.  

No comments:

Post a Comment