Just the life of any other Rachel

Sunday, June 3, 2012

This and that

Things have been pretty good lately.

On Friday at work, one of the patients gave the owner a huge compliment about the whole staff.  That was awesome.  After work, Aaron and I went to dinner with Jomanda, which was great, because we hadn't seen them in a long time.  (Well, them as a couple, I'd seen Amanda not too long before).

Saturday was our first day of doing food pick up for church.  Our church had a Food Kitchen with donated items from Whole Foods, Fresh and Easy, Zanottos, and maybe some other places.  Some of the items are "spoilage" (close to the sell by date), some are over-stock and brand new, and a few dented cans, or torn boxes.  One of the amazing old ladies started this a few years ago, and it's expanded enough that hey can give food to the three congregations that meet on Sundays and an additional opening on Thursday morning for the community (though, I suppose they could come Sundays as well).  Typical items include: all sorts of fancy bread (various bakery loafs, and expensive healthy breads), cold case items (picnic salads, pre-packed salads, soups, puddings, etc), fresh made items (pizzas, sandwiches), produce, baked goods (pies, krispy kremes, cookies, etc), dairy (milk, yogurt, cottage cheese) and non-perishables (canned goods, cereals, different flours and baking goods, soy milk, rice, etc).  It's a great program.  It's helped us out quite a bit.  A few different people go to different stores on different days.  Aaron was asked to go to Whole Foods on Saturdays at 5:15.  (It actually turns out 5:30 is better).  The store will bring out cart loads of things that would otherwise be tossed.  For example, we got milks, that have a sell-by of 6-5.  Also, the various delivery trucks will give you things too.  We had several bread trucks give us quite a bit of bread.  We filled up my car (and will be borrowing my dad's van from now on).  The perk of doing this (aside from being charitable) is that you get first pick of the food.  (We were told the verse from Deut. 25:4: Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn).  So we got some, and some for Aaron's folks.  And since we'll be using my dad's van, I'll bring him a couple things too (he requested nice bread, kefir (though I'm not sure I've seen kefir), and cold case goods.  


Aaron can't do it every Saturday, but I can.  And I don't mind getting up early.  Plus my FiL volunteered to go when Aaron couldn't.  So I think it'll be pretty good.  The key is to not make the employees (or delivery guys) wait for you, and to always be nice, and say thank you.  (Since it's actually easier for them to throw it away).  So I'm pretty excited about this.  It helps the community, creates less waste, and stretches out food budget.


After getting up at 4:30 to do the Food Kitchen, we headed out to Big Basin to do a 12 mile hike.  It's my favourite hike, but it's hard to plan.Skyline to the Sea Trail to Waddell Beach 
One Way. 

What to see: Spectacular views! 
Location: The Whole Park, Mid Park areas, Pacific Ocean. 
Trailhead: Across the street from Park Headquarters, at the large Redwood Trail Marker, cross bridge at Opal Creek Comfort Station, turn left. 
Length: ~12.5 miles~20 kms 
Time: ~6 hours 
Elevation: ~+/-1000' 




As you can see from the map, you need a car parked at "A" and another car at the read star.  As you can also see, it's not a quick or easy drive to get from one to the other.  A guy my dad works with organizes it, and we get to tag along.  I'm wiped out today.  Super tired, stiff, sore.  We went to sleep before 10, (it's 8.30 now) and Aaron is still asleep.

In the bad news column, I think Yoie might have a UTI, so I'm going to call the vet when they open at 10.  She's peed in the house more than usual.  (Once right in front of me).  And last night she asked to go out, and peed 4 drops.  So not good signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment