Just the life of any other Rachel

Saturday, May 26, 2012

The haps.

This morning, Aaron, the doggies and I went over 17 to Henry Cowell State Park for some hiking.  We did the same route I did two weeks ago.  It went well.  It was pretty cool, maybe around 60, but it was nice.  We all came home and crashed.  I'm sure I'll be sore.  I really don't get enough exercise.

Last night we had a date night.  We got dinner at Chilis, and saw The Avengers.  I had an agoraphobia attack at the beginning of the movie.  It calmed down a bit.  The movie was meh.  I'm not sure why everyone is going coo-coo-bananas over it.

I'm doing a new "diet"  Not really a diet, but I'm trying to change the way I eat.  Sugar is out.  No white sugar, brown sugar, high fructose corn syrup(HFCS) etc.  Natural sugars are ok (eg the ones already in food, fruit sugars, milk, etc).  I have a serious sugar addiction.  And the best way I can think of fixing it, is just cutting it out entirely.  (Plus my blog-friend, reduced her sugar intake to one treat a month, and has lost 10 lbs over two months, without any other changes).  I've also been reading about the glycemic index.  And I want to lower the foods like spike glucose (without doing "low carb").  So aside from no more sugar, I'm cutting out more white starches.  No white flour, white bread, potatoes, white pasta, corn etc.  I found some whole wheat pasta which looks appalling, but I'll give it a shot.  So that means reading a lot of ingredients.  Sprouted wheat or wheatberry bread seems to be a good choice; as is rye or barley bread.  Cereal has been harder.  I eat a lot of cereal.  It turns out it's really hard to find cereal without added sugar.  Most all mainstream cereals are out, no Wheaties, Cheerios etc.  I found a Kashi granola that's ok.  Something called Uncle Sam, which is not very tasty.  And some flax flakes I haven't tried yet.  I also found it's difficult to find salad dressing without sugar or HFCS.

These are my current staple foods:
Low fat plain Greek yogurt
fresh fruit (mainly apples, but also apricots, nectarines and mangoes)
Dark/ dense breads (rye, and Daily Bread from TJs (no sugar, HFCS, or white anything)
TJs all peanut peanut butter (the only ingredient is peanuts, no salt, oil etc)
Eggs (mostly hard boiled)
Raw Almonds
frozen blueberries
salad (and various veggies: carrots, celery peppers etc)

I'm not weighing myself to start, but I know about what I weigh.

I'm also going to try to get in more exercise.  It's hard because I'm still tired all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment