Just the life of any other Rachel

Monday, February 15, 2016

Random things from high school


  • Unlike many, I didn't have a bad high school experience.  I was, by no means, popular.  But I wasn't unpopular either.  I got along with most everyone.
  • I was the only white person in my group of friends.  They were all Asian (Vietnamese, Chinese, Filipino, and Japanese).  We were fairly nerdy and good (no drinking, drugs and we were all good students).  
  • I loved art and science.  I still do.  There weren't a ton of art classes available, but I took all the ones I could.  
  • The only AP class I took was English.  I didn't pass the test.
  • In spite of that, I was a good student and got all As and Bs.
  • I played badminton every year.  I love(d) playing badminton, but was terrible at it.  I was usually one of two white people on the team.  It didn't matter, it was fun.
  • I had the same math teacher freshman and sophomore year, Mr Hoover.  He was the best math teacher that I've ever had.  My senior year of school he committed suicide.  He always seemed like a happy guy.  I felt sad that I never told him what a great teacher he was.
  • I wish I had tried harder and paid more attention in Spanish.  (Also, Spanish was the only language my school offered.  Isn't that odd?)  I always got good grades, but I only learned to the tests, and once the test was done, I forgot everything I'd learned.
  • We didn't have lockers, which was awful.
  • Sometimes I think about the kids who got tattoos during senior year (mostly tramp stamps and tribal arm bands).  I wonder if they still like their tattoos.
  • I got into almost all the colleges I applied to, but went to the local school instead.  I often regret not going away to school.  But I think there was to much change already.  My parents split and my sisters and mom moved away.  Aaron was only going to be in town until October, when he left on his mission.  And a lot of my friends went away to school too.  I needed something to stay the same.  But I think maybe I should have stretched myself more.  2001 was a terrible year.
  • I wish home EC still existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment