Just the life of any other Rachel

Monday, February 1, 2016

The January

I made some big changes for January.  Not resolutions, per say, but changes for a month, with re-evaluation at the end.

No soda
After 2 or 3 days the caffeine headaches went away.  After 4 or 5 days the cravings went away.  Occasionally, when things were stressful, I wanted a fresh, icy Diet Coke.  But I didn't cave.  Today is February 1st.  I didn't run right out and get one, or have one at all.  I think it will be a rare treat.  I like not needing the caffeine.  I may get a caffeine-free one, but that will probably be it.  We'll see.  I'm not dedicated to sticking to "no soda" anymore.

No sugar
This was way harder.  WAY harder.  I knew I had a sweet tooth, but I'm pretty sure I have a straight out sugar addiction.  The craving, and jonesing didn't stop until day 20!  I put myself to the test around day 25, and made a batch of cookies for Aaron to take to a meeting.  I didn't eat any, and more amazingly, I didn't have any of the dough (which may be my favourite thing).  I didn't lick my finger when I accidentally touched the beater.
Now, here we are, February 1st.  I was thinking I'd have one sweet treat a week.  But I'm a bit dubious.  If I really am an addict (which seems like a good possibility), then introducing sugar again is like playing with fire.  So, for now, I'm going to keep things the same.  But I am going to have a little piece of cake on Bertie's birthday.  Maybe sugar will just be for special occasions...  Time will tell.

No Meat
I sort of failed this.  I'm going back to vegetarian, but I had some shrimp.  So I think I'll be mainly veg, and flex to pesce when the spirit moves me.

Yoga
I did yoga everyday in January.  I LOVED it.  I'm not fit, and I'm not super flexible.  But there is something about doing yoga regularly that really makes you appreciate and love your body.  I'm so grateful for the things I can do, I'm not going to fixate on what I can't.  Plus, you see improvements in strength and flexibility so quickly.  I'm going to mix it up for February.  2 days of cardio, 2 days of strength and 2 days of yoga.  And Sunday... well, I'm not sure yet, a rest day?  More yoga?  The real challenge will be when my mom comes to visit.  Mom, make sure I exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment