Just the life of any other Rachel

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

A nice day

I got up at 5:30, and drove to the track.  I did a minuscule amount of running, and walked most of the time.  I love being able to see the sun rise.  I came home around 7, and I could hear Bertram waking up.  I got him up and took off his diaper and put on his undies.  A minute later he ran up to me and said "I wet, I need to potty".  His undies were a little damp, and he ran off to his little potty.  He really had to go!

Then he said he wanted a toy out of his closet.  It was a big garbage truck that he got for his first birthday (I think).  It's a German toy, and it's pretty well made.  After I showed him how to use it, and gave him some little pom-poms to put in and dump out, he played with it for two hours straight!  I did yoga, and got all our stuff together for the beach.  He cried for a minute when I said he needed to get ready, but calmed down quickly.

We headed off to Santa Cruz, well, Aptos, actually.  The drive there was uneventful.  Bertie read a book most of the way there.  When we got to Rio del Mar, we both went to the bathroom (he was dry when we arrived).  Then went back to the car to get all the necessary beach crap (towels, sand toys, snacks, and a blanket).  That was a difficult trip, the stuff was heavy, and Bertram was walking so slow.  But we got set up, and he went to play in the little stream that goes to the ocean.  He did a lot of digging, splashing, finding different rocks, and sticks.  We stayed for 3 hours, and stopped to add more sunblock and have a snack about halfway through.  It was a beautiful day.  Warm, and comfortable, with a nice breeze.

When we left, around 1:45, we went to Marianne's in Aptos for ice cream lunch.  I put Bertie up to the counter, and asked him what flavour he wanted.  (99% of the time, he chooses mint).  He said "white".  The ice cream guy said "ok, let me bring you some samples".  He brought 4: Vanilla, Coconut, Banana, and I can't remember the last one.  He chose Banana, I got Heaven (peanut butter base, with brownies).  He ate almost all of it.  We went to the bathroom there, and got ready to hit the road.

I wanted a drink before we got back on the highway.  I thought if I drove down the main drag (Soquel Ave), I would see a drive through.  We drove 7 miles, from Aptos to Santa Cruz, and didn't see a single drive thru.  I found one when we were back in Santa Cruz, but it was on the wrong side of a divided road.  So we stopped at Macca's, the one without a drive thru.  The line was super long, and of course, Bertie needed to crawl around on the floor...

We got on to Hwy 17.  I was driving pretty slowly, I was hoping he'd fall asleep.  We hit the summit and started down the other side.  (The harder part of the drive, there are a lot of sharp turns).  We came around one of the blind curves, and there was a car, stopped.  The car was stopped, the driver was standing next to it (on the highway!) and he didn't have his hazard lights on.  (I should mention this all happened in a matter of seconds).  I couldn't slam on the brakes, because there was a car right behind me.  So I eased on to them hard.  I stopped in time, and then kept my eyes on the rear view mirror.  I willed the car behind me to stop.  And miraculously, he did.  And the car behind him swerved around without issue.   When it was safe, I went around.  The car I didn't hit, looked fine, I have no clue why he was stopped.  There was another car in front of him, which also looked fine, but maybe hit the guardrail.  Neither looked immobile, so I'm not sure why they didn't move to an area with a shoulder.  I was shaking.  (I somehow managed not to swear).  Once I'd calmed down a little, I said a prayer of thanks.  That could have been terrible.  (I checked Google Traffic about an hour after that, the accident was still there, so I assume someone probably hit the first car).

The rest of the drive was fine, thankfully.  We ran to the grocery on the way home.  Then Bertie went to see his grandparents, and I started dinner and showered.  I got a little sunburn on the back of arms and shoulders.  I can never make rice correctly, it's either burnt or soggy.  I made cilantro lime chicken and rice.  It was still good, even with mushy rice.

It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment