Just the life of any other Rachel

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Last few days.

Holy fiduciary problems Batman!  Really, more issues than problems.

First off, Student Loans.  Aaron is on an income based repayment plan.  When we were making $35k our payments were about $100 a month.  We had to turn in the documents for next year.  We had discussed filling our taxes separately, so that way only his income is counted.  But it was going to cost about $4000 to do that!  So we said no, and filed jointly.  Aaron talked to his financial adviser about next year's payments, and since we filed jointly (and since we're making grown up money), we'll be paying $600 a month!  Holy Hell!  There is some sort of flex thing you can do to leave your payment the same, and tack the interest on to the end.  So we'll keep paying $100 for Jan and Feb, then we'll be able to change again since I'll be on maternity leave.  After that we'll see what happens.  We can afford it, but that was a huge (unpleasant) surprise.  

Last night I got a phone call saying that my debit card had been compromised.  I went online to check my account, and everything looked fine, so I was worried that the call was a phishing scam.  I called the credit union (fortunately they take calls til 9pm).  I had to be on hold a little bit, but I got to talk to a real person.  And yes, my card had been compromise.  Target had a huge information breach between Thanksgiving and last week.  Someone had tried to make two purchases (at Target) in Merced (or was it Modesto?).  One got blocked, and didn't go through.  The second was for $220, and it was pending.  The credit union fraud department caught it right away.  They cancelled the card.  (I'll have to do in on Monday and get a new one).  Fortunately, we can deal with $220 and it won't break the bank.  Since the charge was pending, the rep said I needed to wait for it to clear (which would probably be Monday), then fill out a fraud form,  I could see the pending change last night.  But when I checked it this morning, it was gone.  So I'm not sure if it got taken care of, but I'll keep an eye on it.

I think I need to start making more cash transactions.  Since credit cards have fraud protection, but someone could clean out the debit account pretty quick.  Anyway, I'm really happy with Star One.  I've had them since I was 17, and they've always treated me great!  Another point for them.

We have about $1000 left on the loan for my car.  I cannot wait to pay it off!  I'm going to try to have it gone before Mojo is born.  I should be able to do it.  Then our only debt is the student loan.  Yay!

Today has been significantly less stressful.  I slept in until 9.  Mojo has been moving a lot lately.  I love watching my belly wiggle and shake as he does his thing.  Aaron and I bummed around a bit.  Now he's out doing some last minute shopping.  I worked on my giant quilt a little.  I was doing hand stitching, but I need to set up the machine, and work on more of the squares.  Once that is done, I'm going to start on Mojo's quilt.  His will be baby sized, so it should be quicker.  And I can have Aaron help, since he's pretty good at artsy craftsy stuff.

Speaking of Mojo, our next appt for him is on Monday after work.  Hopefully I haven't gained too much weight.  I'm not stressing about it too much, since there's nothing that can be done at this point.  And I'm ok with working hard.  We'll either walk a lot, with baby in the snuggle pack, or jogger.  Or maybe we can do a little hiking.  Plus I'll be breastfeeding, or pumping.

No comments:

Post a Comment