Just the life of any other Rachel

Thursday, October 13, 2016

13. Insomnia

Sleep issues seem to run in the family.

I have had insomnia off and on since 4th or 5th grade.  I can remember watching an episode of The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson with my dad, and he stopped hosting when I was 9.  Some of my insomnia came with my OCD tendencies: is the door locked? did I really lock it? did I actually check that other door? better check again.  is the toaster plugged in? etc.  But aside from that I couldn't make my mind calm down.  And then I would stress out because I was still awake.

In middle school it wasn't as bad, because class didn't start until 9:30 (not sure who thought of that schedule, but they're a genius).  I'd stay up late, listening to Loveline, or watching Jay Leno, and go to sleep at 12 or 12:30, and have no issues getting up.  That changed in high school because we started at 7:20.  So I took OTC medicine to help sometimes.  I trying Unisom, which was the worst.  Benedryl and Nyquil were what I used most often.  Not everyday, but probably at least once a week.  I had done all the regular tips, no caffeine, no naps, a relaxing routine, etc, but nothing ever helped.

In late high school or college, I got a prescription for Lunestra.  That was a wonderful, miracle drug.  With the exception that it made your mouth taste awful the next day (the whole next day).  After that I moved on to Ambien, which I like better than Lunesta.  I feel like the Lunesta works quicker (and better) but there is no after taste with Ambien.  Currently I'm out of sleep meds, and use melatonin on occasion. But now that I'm working the swing shift 4 nights a week, my rhythms are all off (hence the second 1am blog post this week).  I think I may ask my shrink for a new Ambien Rx, to help on my off days.  But I'll see what he says.

My mom (as previously mentioned) worked nights for 20+ years, so she was always tired.  She really could nap anytime, though didn't have the opportunity very often.

My dad has had insomnia off and on most of his life.  He tried prescription sleep meds, but had issues with them (sleepwalking).  Now that he's getting older, he doesn't sleep much at night, but naps most days.

Rebecca has intermittent insomnia too.  And Jessica, for a while anyway, was practically nocturnal.  (She was very active in some online groups that kept late hours (or had many members overseas)).  Now that she has a more regulated schedule she is less-nocturnal, but still leans that way.

Aaron, on the other hand, had never had sleeping issues.  We'll go to bed, he'll say he's not tired, and be asleep in 5 minutes.  I am beyond jealous, and hope that Bertie takes after him in that aspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment