Just the life of any other Rachel

Thursday, October 6, 2016

6. Young Love

January 2001, 15.5 years ago, I met my husband.  (Actually I met him once, briefly, in 1999).  In a couple years, I'll have known him half of my life.

I was out with my former boyfriend.  (I had dated a few guys, but really only one seriously before Aaron.)  And was introduced to Aaron.  I thought he was so cute, and I actually thought he was Jewish, due to his nose. I had to pursue him.  All the guys I've ever liked, I had to pursue.  The guys who were into me from the start were lameos.

Anyway, I somehow won him over.  I was 17 and he was 19 when we started dating.  10 months later he left on his mission.  (Start miserable time, see yesterday).

I can remember sitting on the curb outside of my house and talking until 2 or 3 in the morning.  We drove out to Utah for LDS conference in the Spring.  We got a motel midway, and spent the night cuddling (we waited til marriage for the rest).  We saw a bunch of movies.  We had stupid fights, and not so stupid fights.  We went to some concerts.  All the typical stuff.  It was a magical period in my life.

Going to my Prom

Sometime before he left.
 (Bad quality, picture of a picture)

We he came back, we came back.

I was thinking about the start of our relationship.  How many people end up with their high school sweetheart?  How many marriages between 22 and 23 year olds last?  I think it's pretty neat that we've been married 11 years.

When discussing the early years of marriage, we both agreed we got married too young.  The first year was especially hard (which is typical) but probably made more rough because we were young.  But we never had any huge fights.  The longest we went without talking was a couple hours.  We fit together well.  And I'm convinced he's one of the only people who would put up with me, long term.  I feel like our relationship is pretty good now.  We are at a good point.  (Which makes me worried that the other shoe will drop).

3 comments:

  1. Shout out for high school sweethearts! I love your prom dress!!

    And that is crazy that you guys had so little contact for 2 years while he was on mission. I didn't realize it was that long, or that you couldn't communicate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nose comment of why you assumed he was Jewish, has me LOL-ing :)

    ReplyDelete