Just the life of any other Rachel

Friday, October 21, 2016

21. How anxiety kept me safe.

As previously mentioned, I've dealt with anxiety for almost as long as I can remember.  I'd always thought of myself as a rule follower (especially after the incident mentioned yesterday).  I didn't want to be in trouble, and the rules were the best way to do that.  As time went on, I also didn't want to be noticed, and the best way to blend in, is not to do something wrong.

In middle school, I did all my work, and got good grades (except 6th grade math).  I didn't procrastinate much, and did my best to be a wall flower.  I didn't want critique or compliments, I just wanted to float along.  (I still don't do well with compliments).

In high school, when a lot of kids experiment with drugs, alcohol and sex, I didn't.  Part of the reason was because I was open about things with me mom, and I didn't want to tell her I did any of that stuff.  Another reason was that I was just scared.  I didn't want to do something illegal, I worried about getting caught.  I didn't want to not be in charge of my faculties, and do something I'd regret.

As a result, I've never been drunk, I've never been high, and I've only slept with one person.  I kind of regret the first two.  Youth is a time to try things out (maybe not high school, but college).  And I didn't.  I am happy that Aaron is the only one I've been with.

But maybe at 33, I could have a funny drunk story, or a regrettable tattoo, or know what weed is like.  Oh well, I guess there is still time for those things.  But now I don't have the excuse of being young... and I'm less anxious, well, mostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment