Just the life of any other Rachel

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

5. The worst year.

2001 was the worst year.

It was the year my parents split.  My mom and sisters moved to Virginia.  I stayed in California with my dad.  This was after deciding to go to college locally (even though I got into some really good state schools).  I think everyone in my family was surprised that I didn't go with my mom.  Heck, I was surprised.  Up until (and for a while, beyond) that point, I didn't get along with my dad very well.

They left, and soon after I started college.  High school was really easy for me.  I got good grades without much effort, and I never had to study.  It turned out college was not similar.  I was not prepared for the amount of work I needed to do.  And I needed to study, which was something I never learned.

About a month after that, Aaron left on his mission.  (For those who don't know, when Mormons go on missions there is very little communication with home.  Two phone calls a year, and weekly letters.  For two years.)  So, everyone I loved (and who loved me back) left in the span of about 4 months.

It was the worst time in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment