Just the life of any other Rachel

Saturday, October 1, 2016

1. Mom

Today is my mom's birthday, so it seems appropriate to start with her.

My mom is awesome.  She is a hard worker, devoted mom, and just an all around giving and caring person.  I feel blessed, as an adult, to still have a wonderful relationship with her.

She spend most of my life working the overnight shift in the ER at O'Connor Hospital, as an RN.  My dad would drop off my sister and me on his way to work early in the morning.  Then she would drive us to school.

Every summer she would fly from California  to Virginia (without my dad) with all us kids in tow.  I still marvel at how she must have done that after traveling with just one toddler!  We would spend the next month on her parent's farm.  It is still one of my favourite places, and I often visit in my mind.  It was a magical place to spend the summer.

My mom was always really open to any question that us kids had.  It was easy to ask her anything we wanted to know, so we were fairly well informed.

After my parent's divorce, she and my sisters moved to Virginia.  And after having a less-than-happy marriage for a long time, she and her neighbour fell in love. It makes me happy when I think about that, because after all she did/put up with she deserves to be happy, and have a guy who really spoils her.

She has always been supportive, and at the same time, allowed me to make my own mistakes, offering advice, but in the end leaving the choice up to me.


I feel like there is more I want to say.  I think this is disjointed.  I was going to write an outline, but ran out of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment