Just the life of any other Rachel

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

19. Jobs

Here are the jobs I've had:

  • Baby sitter.  That was my first job, mostly for my sister's friends, and some for families at the synagogue.  It wasn't my favourite job, but it was fine when I wasn't old enough to get a real job.
  • Joann Fabrics.  Shortly after I turned 16 I got a job at Joann's.  I cut fabric, rung people up, and put stuff away.  It wasn't a great job.  I think it paid $6.25 an hour.  It was either boring or busy.  It was kind of odd, since I knew nothing about sewing when I started there, but I learned a bit.
  • Macy*s.  My boyfriend (or maybe he was my ex by then, I can't remember) helped my get that job, because he worked there.  I started out in seasonal apparel (swimwear and coats).  Some people don't wear underwear when trying on swimsuits, which is really gross.  It was an ok job.  Customers can be really rude.  After I was there a while I was able to transfer to stock in domestics.  I really liked that job.  I set my own hours, and I didn't have to deal with customers.  I just made sure the floor was neat and everything was stocked.
  • Engineering company.  A guy from church was looking for a part time administrative aide. It was a good job, I had a lot of free time, and it paid well.  And I could organize it around school. But it was almost an hour each way (despite only being 10 miles from the house).  I worked there for 6 years.
  • United Shredding.  After Aaron and I married, I needed a full time job.  I found a front desk job at the shredding company.  It was fairly boring, but it was really close to home (less than 3 miles).  I only worked there 6 months, because we moved to Utah.
  • MegaGPS.  This was the online company I worked for in Utah.  I processed orders, talked to costumers on the phone, and helped with shipping.  It was a pretty good job, far from home, again, but it only took about 30 minutes to get there.
  • OPTM PT.  I got a full time front desk job at the PT company in 2009 when we came back from Utah.  I learned to help with charts, and insurance benefits.  After I'd been there 3 years, I got to be the billing departments (as we moved from out-sourcing to in-house).  I really liked doing the billing, and it paid well.  I worked there until I was laid off in February.  While I had been there a long time, I had the fewest hours.  I knew it was coming, but it was still a little sad.
  • Amazon.  I just started with Amazon about a month ago.  It's the first time I've worked an overnight shift.  I help receive packages (everything is already boxed when it arrives to us), and then sort them into areas.  It pays well for unskilled labour, and most of the people are nice.  I wear sweats to most shifts, and listen to my iPod whilst I work.

No comments:

Post a Comment