Just the life of any other Rachel

Sunday, October 23, 2016

23. Terrible family trips

My parents tried to take us to do fun things from time to time. We drove to Reno or Vegas a handful of times. The trips were mostly terrible. I can only really remember the last one.

We went to Laughlin (I think) before going to Vegas. We drove on this really desolate road. I was driving, I think I had my learners. We were on the desolate road, the fuel gauge said we were really low, and I really needed to pee. We were all grumpy. We made it to the hotel. But it was so hot, and buggy. And Jessica was upset because it wasn't Vegas, so eveything was different. I was a mopey teen because I missed my boyfriend.
It wasn't any better when we got to Las Vegas. Jessica was still grumpy, I was still mopey. Dad insisted we walk places, despite it being 115° outside.
That was the last road trip we went on as a family. God, we were ungrateful kids.

We went to Reno in the winter. I think Rebecca either wasn't born or she was little. I remember that being a fun trip, because there was snow. And the drive is only 4 hours (Vegas is 10ish).

On one of the Vegas (or maybe Reno?) trips we stayed in a motel off the strip. It was a terrible place. And the in the middle of the night there was a biker rally in the parking lot. It was so loud, and a little scary.

I have some good memories of our trips, but mostly it wasn't worth my parents' efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment