Just the life of any other Rachel

Saturday, October 29, 2016

29. Higher Education

Both of my parents were the first (and only) in their families to go to college. Dad got a BS and two masters. Mom got her RN and BSN.

I was determined to continue the trend. I did well in high school and got into most of the schools I applied to. I ended up at the local state school. My parents paid for school. I enjoyed it, for the most part. But I didn't have a solid goal. I really wanted to major in Biology. I wanted it a lot, I loved biology. Unfortunately, at my school, a Bio major required a chem minor. And try as I might, I could not get chem. I really wanted to, it was very interesting. But even after hours of group and individual study, I only got a C. (The minimum needed to pass chem 1.)

After that I switched to my other passion, art. I liked the art major even more. But most classes were studio classes, which were 6+ class hours a week. It is really had to take all the required classes, because there isn't enough time. So it takes a long time to complete.

On top of this, I was working 20 hours a week, so some of my days were lost to that.

After 5 years of college, I had a lot of credits, but not enough in any subject to graduate.

Then we moved, and that was it for college. I worked full time until I had Bertie.

I day dream about finishing, but there isn't much of a point, except to say I did it. I don't have plans or dreams of a career. And unfortunately a degree doesn't mean what it used to.

My little sister got her degree. I couldn't be prouder, but also disappointed in myself.

But there is always one day...

No comments:

Post a Comment