Just the life of any other Rachel

Saturday, October 15, 2016

15. Embarrassing moments

I am one of those people who replay things in their heads; what I could/should have said/done, and why did you say/do that?!  So here are a few embarrassing moments that have stayed with me.

If first grade I called the teacher mommy.  (Her name was Mrs Moore, so at least it started the same).

When I was 13, I had a Bat Mitzvah.  Mine was in the afternoon, and my friend had his in the morning.  He asked me to read something at his, somewhat last minute.  I agreed, not thinking much about it.  Then I was up on the stage, in front of everyone, I screwed it all up.  I jumbled the words, mixed up or skipped entire sentences.  I barely held it together.  Then when I sat back down, I just started crying, and I cried through the rest of the service.  I some how pulled it together by the afternoon, and did fine at mine.

Sometime in my youth, I asked my aunt (who is adopted) if she ever met her real mom.  Of course, Nanny is her real mom, what I should have said was biological mom.

At age 5 or 6 I needed a throat culture.  Mom had taken me to the doctor, I assume I probably had strep.  But I absolutely refused to let them take the culture.  Mom was furious.  She made dad take me back later that day, and then I let them do it.  (My dad never disciplined us, mom did that.  But for some reason, we were all scare of dad).

Around age  22, I needed to go to the dentist.  I had been freaking out about it all day.  (I am a huge baby about going to the dentist). I think it was the first time I saw Dr Shimamoto.  And, practically before he ever looked in my mouth, I started crying.  An adult, crying in a dentist's chair, for no real reason, other than being scared.

When Aaron and I were in the early days of dating, I was over at his house.  We were in the living room chatting with his dad, and I sneakily (or so I thought) farted.  But it was really stinky.  When we left the room, Aaron said "sorry about my dad farting." I told him, nope that was me.

Along the same lines, probably around the time Bertie was 2, we were at Target.  I burped and said excuse me.  Bertie loudly announced "Mommy toot!"

I'm sure there are so many more experiences I could add, but I'm feeling thoroughly mortified having written these.

1 comment:

  1. Way to own up to the fart! I totally would've played along like "Yeah, your dad really ripped a bad one." Lol. I have so many moments like those as well - failing my drivers' test (by pulling out in front of someone and almost getting hit), tripping over a ball in gym class and crying when I fell (in 8th grade), showing up for the first day of a new nanny job only to find out they had left me a voicemail (that I missed) telling me they decided to go with someone else. Oh, the woes of the socially anxious!

    ReplyDelete